John Stossel: New York City locks up people for carrying guns legally licensed by other states
Leroy N. Soetoro
2017-08-18 06:37:41 UTC
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/08/09/john-stossel-new-york-city-
locks-up-people-for-carrying-guns-legally-licensed-by-other-states.html

Have a gun license? Plan to bring your gun to my hometown? Don't.

Mean New York authorities will make your life miserable.

Patricia Jordan and her daughter flew here from her home state of Georgia.
She wanted her gun nearby for protection.

Jordan obeyed all the Transportation Security Administration's rules: She
put her gun in a locked TSA-approved case with its bullets separate. She
informed the airline that she had a gun. The airline had no problem with
that.

In New York City, she kept the gun locked in her hotel room. She never
needed it, but her daughter told me, "I was glad she brought it just in
case something did happen."

When leaving the city, Jordan followed the TSA's rules again. At the
airline counter, she again told the agent she wanted to check her gun. But
this time, she was told: "Wait."

"Next thing I know, they're getting ready to arrest me," she said.

Her daughter was crying, "Please don't arrest my mom!" But New York City
cops arrested her, jailed her and told her she was guilty of a felony that
mandates a minimum 3 1/2 years in jail.

Jordan's ordeal is not unique. Roughly once a week, New York City locks up
people for carrying guns legally licensed by other states.

Another Georgia visitor, Avi Wolf, was jailed although he didn't even have
a gun. He just had part of a gun -- an empty magazine -- a little plastic
box with a small metal spring. He brought it to the city because it wasn't
working well and he thought a New York friend might repair it. He couldn't
believe he was being arrested.

"Somebody could've done more damage to an individual with a fork from
McDonald's," Wolf told me.

Wolf, too, checked with the TSA beforehand. They said, just declare it to
TSA agents. So he did.

"I'm telling them ... I have a magazine here. It's empty, no bullets ...
Next thing I know they're pulling me over to the side, they're like, 'Do
you know what you have in your bag?!' 'I know what I have in my bag, I
told you what I have in my bag.'"

Following TSA instructions didn't do Wolf any good. "Fast forward about an
hour and it was four Port Authority police there. The chief of LaGuardia
airport is there, [as if] they thought they found somebody trying to do
9/11 repeat," he says.

"They asked me if I had a gun license. Of course I had a license. I'm from
Georgia, and everybody there's got a gun license. And they're like, well,
sir, you're going to be getting arrested now."

Avi and Jordan spent less than a day in jail, but each had to pay lawyers
$15,000 to bargain the felony charge down to "public disorder."

"We are not going to apologize for enforcing our gun laws," said Assistant
District Attorney Jack Ryan when I confronted him about these pointless
and cruel arrests. He said New York City enforces laws as "humanely and as
compassionately as we can."

But the system is neither fair nor humane.

Patricia Jordan kept her bullets separate from her gun, as TSA regulations
require.

"The officer could not even find my bullets in my suitcase. I had to show
him where they were," she told me.

That didn't matter, said the DA, because the gun and bullets were in the
same suitcase.

"Under New York law, if they're together, they're loaded," says Ryan.

"They're loaded even if they're not loaded?!" I asked. Yes, he said.

I called him a sadistic bully (the full video is at JohnStossel.com). He
replied that New York City must make sure people are "not threats."

New York claims this keeps us safe. But people like Jordan and Wolf
actually make us safer. Texas data shows licensed gun owners are seven
times less likely to murder someone than a nonlicensed person. They also
prevent some crimes. Nationwide, crime has dropped as the percentage of
people with concealed handgun permits has risen.

Licensed gun owners aren't the problem. Crazy laws and callous prosecution
are.
parade of the democrat party has run out of gas.

Congratulations President Trump. Thank you for ending the disaster of the
Obama presidency.

The World According To Garp.

ObamaCare is a total 100% failure and no lie that can be put forth by its
supporters can dispute that.

Obama jobs, the result of ObamaCare. 12-15 working hours a week at minimum
wage, no benefits and the primary revenue stream for ObamaCare. It can't
be funded with money people don't have, yet liberals lie about how great
it is.

Obama increased total debt from $10 trillion to $20 trillion in the eight
years he was in office, and sold out heterosexuals for Hollywood queer
liberal democrat donors.
de chucka
Another crim with a gun
max headroom
Another post from "Clueless."
!Jones
2017-08-18 20:26:48 UTC
x-no-idiots: yes

On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 06:37:41 +0000 (UTC), in talk.politics.guns "Leroy
Post by Leroy N. Soetoro
Have a gun license? Plan to bring your gun to my hometown? Don't.
Ever heard the old saying: "You can beat the rap, but you can't beat
the ride"?

Jones