Australia suffers second worst mass shooting since 1996
Add Reply
Alcee
2019-06-05 08:49:01 UTC
"Four" is a "mass" shooting?

Four are dead and one is injured in Australia’s second deadliest mass
shooting since the 1996 Port Arthur massacre in Tasmania.

A 45-year-old gunman began opening fire with a pump-action shot gun at a
motel in the northern city of Darwin before opening fire at other nearby
locations in the city’s central business district around 6 p.m. Monday.
Pump-action shotguns are largely prohibited in the country under sweeping
legislation passed in the aftermath of the Port Arthur shooting, where 35
people were killed.

“He shot up all the rooms, and he went to every room looking for somebody,
and he shot them all up,” John Rose, a witness, told Australia’s public
broadcaster. “Then we saw him rush out, jump into his Toyota pickup and
rush off.”

Police said the man was out of prison on parole and was wearing an
electronic monitoring bracelet. After about an hour police took the
suspect into custody.

The moment the alleged Darwin gunman arrested in CBD. Up to 5 believed
dead. @abcnews @abcdarwin pic.twitter.com/U2ukTDJjrl

— Stephanie Zillman (@Steph_Zillman) June 4, 2019

Northern Territory Police Commissioner Reece Kershaw said that they were
still working on establishing a motive for the shooting.

“We’re still trying to establish the intent and motivation behind this,
but all I can say, sadly, is that people have lost their lives this
evening,” Kershaw said.

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said that the shooting was not
terrorism-related.

“I have been in contact with Chief Minister Gunner and understand this is
not an act of terrorism and a person has been taken into custody. My
thoughts are with Territorians and the tight-knit community in Darwin,” he
tweeted.

We have seen a terrible act of violence take place in Darwin this evening.
We know four people have lost their lives and there are a number of other
casualties.

— Scott Morrison (@ScottMorrisonMP) June 4, 2019

In addition to prohibiting pump-action shotguns, the strict gun control
measures passed after the Port Arthur shooting also banned automatic and
semi-automatic assault rifles, except in rare circumstances. It also
created a national gun registry and a temporary buyback program.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/australia-suffers-second-worst-
mass-shooting-since-1996
bigdog
2019-06-05 09:48:45 UTC
Post by Alcee
[...]
The laws didn't stop the gunman from obtaining a banned gun. If criminals are
determined enough, they will find a way to get whatever tool they want.
Klaus Schadenfreude
2019-06-05 11:00:24 UTC
On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 08:49:01 +0000 (UTC), Alcee
Post by Alcee
"Four" is a "mass" shooting?
No, but it's a good start
FPP
2019-06-05 12:01:24 UTC
Post by Alcee
"Four" is a "mass" shooting?
FBI criteria.
--
Trump: "I'm rich." (* but you can't see my taxes.)
"I'm smart." (* but you can't see my grades.)
"I'm totally exonerated." (* but you can't see the report.)
Byker
2019-06-05 14:23:15 UTC
Post by Alcee
"Four" is a "mass" shooting?
For the Aussies it is. Four dead in a country of 25 million is equivalent to
52 victims here in the U.S.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Las_Vegas_shooting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando_nightclub_shooting

Four dead in the U.S. is worth one or two days' coverage on the MSM, then it
drops down the memory hole:
https://www.cnn.com/2013/09/16/us/20-deadliest-mass-shootings-in-u-s-history-fast-facts/index.html
BTR1701
2019-06-05 14:36:59 UTC
Post by Alcee
"Four" is a "mass" shooting?
Four are dead and one is injured in Australia's second deadliest mass
shooting since the 1996 Port Arthur massacre in Tasmania.
This should be impossible with all that 'common sense gun control' and
confiscation they have there.
So wait... they're prohibited but he had one? How can that possibly be?
trotsky
2019-06-05 22:04:08 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alcee
"Four" is a "mass" shooting?
Four are dead and one is injured in Australia's second deadliest mass
shooting since the 1996 Port Arthur massacre in Tasmania.
This should be impossible with all that 'common sense gun control' and
confiscation they have there.
You stupid fucking asshole, they have one every ten years while we have
one a week because of worthless pieces of shit like you. You stupid
fucking asshole. How many fucking do you need to be castigated by your
superiors about false fucking equivalences? I guess all the Breitbart
bullshit has rotted your brain? What fucking brain?

---
bigdog
2019-06-05 23:02:01 UTC
Post by trotsky
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alcee
"Four" is a "mass" shooting?
Four are dead and one is injured in Australia's second deadliest mass
shooting since the 1996 Port Arthur massacre in Tasmania.
This should be impossible with all that 'common sense gun control' and
confiscation they have there.
You stupid fucking asshole, they have one every ten years while we have
one a week because of worthless pieces of shit like you.
Really? That is the eighth one since the Port Arthur gun laws were enacted.
Your arithmetic is really bad.
de chucka
2019-06-05 23:14:54 UTC
Post by bigdog
Post by trotsky
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alcee
"Four" is a "mass" shooting?
Four are dead and one is injured in Australia's second deadliest mass
shooting since the 1996 Port Arthur massacre in Tasmania.
This should be impossible with all that 'common sense gun control' and
confiscation they have there.
You stupid fucking asshole, they have one every ten years while we have
one a week because of worthless pieces of shit like you.
Really? That is the eighth one since the Port Arthur gun laws were enacted.
Your arithmetic is really bad.
Actually it the 7th and the 4th since the laws were tightened in 2003.
Of course this is the first case of someone going postal since the
Monash Uni shooting. Of course compared to the US we are utopia even
though we have the same problems of gangs, criminals, terrorists,
massively disadvantaged groups etc
Just Wondering
2019-06-06 00:37:17 UTC
Post by de chucka
Post by bigdog
Post by trotsky
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alcee
"Four" is a "mass" shooting?
Four are dead and one is injured in Australia's second deadliest mass
shooting since the 1996 Port Arthur massacre in Tasmania.
This should be impossible with all that 'common sense gun control' and
confiscation they have there.
You stupid fucking asshole, they have one every ten years while we have
one a week because of worthless pieces of shit like you.
Really? That is the eighth one since the Port Arthur gun laws were
enacted. Your arithmetic is really bad.
Actually it the 7th and the 4th since the laws were tightened in 2003.
Of course this is the first case of someone going postal since the
Monash Uni shooting. Of course compared to the US we are utopia
Keep telling yourselves that, it will keep you in Oz where you belong.
Post by de chucka
even though we have the same problems of gangs, criminals,
terrorists, massively disadvantaged groups etc.
It's not a competition, but I really doubt you do. Here's your
opportunity to prove your claim. But you won't. You seldom do,
and this isn't going to be one of your exceptions.
de chucka
2019-06-06 00:50:34 UTC
Post by Just Wondering
Post by de chucka
Post by bigdog
Post by trotsky
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alcee
"Four" is a "mass" shooting?
Four are dead and one is injured in Australia's second deadliest mass
shooting since the 1996 Port Arthur massacre in Tasmania.
This should be impossible with all that 'common sense gun control' and
confiscation they have there.
You stupid fucking asshole, they have one every ten years while we have
one a week because of worthless pieces of shit like you.
Really? That is the eighth one since the Port Arthur gun laws were
enacted.  Your arithmetic is really bad.
Actually it the 7th and the 4th since the laws were tightened in 2003.
Of course this is the first case of someone going postal since the
Monash Uni shooting. Of course compared to the US we are utopia
Keep telling yourselves that,
I will because those are the facts
Post by Just Wondering
it will keep you in Oz where you belong.
It won't I still travel the world widely
Post by Just Wondering
Post by de chucka
even though we have the same problems of gangs, criminals, terrorists,
massively disadvantaged groups etc.
It's not a competition, but I really doubt you do.
You keep claiming that America is unique when it comes to gangs,
criminals etc. You're not

Here's your
Post by Just Wondering
opportunity to prove your claim.
Gangs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangs_in_Australia

I assume you don't need me to prove we have criminals in Aus

Terrorism/terrorists https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangs_in_Australia,
https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/BriefingBook45p/ViolentExtremism

Massively disadvantaged group
https://www.acoss.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/ACOSS_Poverty-in-Australia-Report_Web-Final.pdf
Just Wondering
2019-06-06 01:20:31 UTC
Post by de chucka
Post by Just Wondering
Post by de chucka
Post by bigdog
Post by trotsky
Post by de chucka
Gangs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangs_in_Australia
I assume you don't need me to prove we have criminals in Aus
Terrorism/terrorists https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangs_in_Australia,
https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/BriefingBook45p/ViolentExtremism
Massively disadvantaged group
https://www.acoss.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/ACOSS_Poverty-in-Australia-Report_Web-Final.pdf
Strike one. The question isn't whether Australia has guns,
criminals, terrorists, and disadvantaged critters. It's
whether Oz has THE SAME PROBLEMS with them that USA does.
You didn't even try to prove that. I don't think you're
up to the challenge.
de chucka
2019-06-06 02:00:52 UTC
Post by de chucka
Post by Just Wondering
Post by de chucka
Post by bigdog
Post by trotsky
Post by de chucka
Gangs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangs_in_Australia
I assume you don't need me to prove we have criminals in Aus
Terrorism/terrorists https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangs_in_Australia,
https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/BriefingBook45p/ViolentExtremism
Massively disadvantaged group
https://www.acoss.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/ACOSS_Poverty-in-Australia-Report_Web-Final.pdf
Strike one.  The question isn't whether Australia has guns,
criminals, terrorists, and disadvantaged critters.  It's
whether Oz has THE SAME PROBLEMS with them that USA does.
So you've changed the question
You didn't even try to prove that.  I don't think you're
up to the challenge.
Our gangs don't shoot each other at the same rate as yours but ours
don't have easy access to guns so I would say your gangs are more of a
problem.

Crime rates apart from violent crime, your gun crime rates pushes that
up, is similar we have more rapes assaults https://www.nationmaster.com

Poverty rates are both about 13% From wiki
bigdog
2019-06-06 02:13:22 UTC
Post by de chucka
Post by bigdog
Post by trotsky
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alcee
"Four" is a "mass" shooting?
Four are dead and one is injured in Australia's second deadliest mass
shooting since the 1996 Port Arthur massacre in Tasmania.
This should be impossible with all that 'common sense gun control' and
confiscation they have there.
You stupid fucking asshole, they have one every ten years while we have
one a week because of worthless pieces of shit like you.
Really? That is the eighth one since the Port Arthur gun laws were enacted.
Your arithmetic is really bad.
Actually it the 7th and the 4th since the laws were tightened in 2003.
Of course this is the first case of someone going postal since the
Monash Uni shooting. Of course compared to the US we are utopia even
though we have the same problems of gangs, criminals, terrorists,
massively disadvantaged groups etc
Whether it is 7 or 8 the arithmetic is still really bad. Here are the ones I
have counted:

1999 - Wright St Bikie murders
2002 - Monash University shooting
2005 - Oakhampton Heights Shooting
2011 - Hectorville siege
2014 - Hunt family murders
2014 - Wedderburn shooting
2018 - Osmington shooting
2019 - Darwin Shooting

Also, since the Port Arthur gun laws were enacted, gun massacres have become
slightly less frequent while arson massacres have become more frequent. Overall
massacres have become more frequent in OZ since your new gun laws were enacted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_in_Australia

This source lists 26 massacres in the 23 years since Port Arthur. If you count
backwards, beginning with Port Arthur you have to go all the way back to the
Broken Hill spree shooting in 1915 to get to 26. So it seems massacres in OZ
are becoming more frequent, not less since the Port Arthur gun laws were enacted.
Klaus Schadenfreude
All that frothing has shorted out his tiny brain. [chuckle]
Mchael J Simmons
2019-06-06 01:49:33 UTC
Post by trotsky
Post by BTR1701
Post by Alcee
"Four" is a "mass" shooting?
Four are dead and one is injured in Australia's second deadliest mass
shooting since the 1996 Port Arthur massacre in Tasmania.
This should be impossible with all that 'common sense gun control' and
confiscation they have there.
You stupid fucking asshole, they have one every ten years while we have
one a week because of worthless pieces of shit like you.  You stupid
fucking asshole.  How many fucking do you need to be castigated by your
superiors about false fucking equivalences?  I guess all the Breitbart
bullshit has rotted your brain?  What fucking brain?
---
130 school shootings in one year in the U$A.

Completely indefensible.
bigdog
Who do you know who is defending school shootings?
FPP
2019-06-05 23:01:04 UTC
Post by Alcee
A 45-year-old gunman began opening fire with a pump-action shot gun at a
motel in the northern city of Darwin before opening fire at other nearby
locations in the city's central business district around 6 p.m. Monday.
Pump-action shotguns are largely prohibited in the country under sweeping
legislation passed in the aftermath of the Port Arthur shooting, where 35
people were killed.
So wait... they're prohibited but he had one? How can that possibly be?
"one".
--
There are three inescapable facts from the Mueller report that Mitch
McConnell can't hide:
-Elizabeth Warren
Fran
2019-06-06 02:17:18 UTC
Post by Alcee
A 45-year-old gunman began opening fire with a pump-action shot gun at a
motel in the northern city of Darwin before opening fire at other nearby
locations in the city's central business district around 6 p.m. Monday.
Pump-action shotguns are largely prohibited in the country under sweeping
legislation passed in the aftermath of the Port Arthur shooting, where 35
people were killed.
So wait... they're prohibited but he had one? How can that possibly be?
Get off your lazy arse and do some research about what is allowed under
the laws of the Territory in which the crime took place before you make
ignorant comments.
A. Filip
2019-06-06 02:23:24 UTC
Post by Alcee
"Four" is a "mass" shooting?
Four are dead and one is injured in Australia's second deadliest mass
shooting since the 1996 Port Arthur massacre in Tasmania.
[…]
Post by Alcee
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/australia-suffers-second-worst-mass-shooting-since-1996
Are Australians unable to kill four people with a knife/axe/truck/...?

Where there's a will there's a way.
--
A. Filip