Ferguson prosecutor says witnesses in Darren Wilson case lied under oath
Benjamin Atkins
2014-12-20 20:30:58 UTC
St Louis county prosecutor Robert McCulloch says he believes some
witnesses were not telling the truth when presenting evidence in the grand
jury case of officer Darren Wilson

Some witnesses who appeared before the grand jury investigating the death
of 18-year-old Michael Brown were “clearly not telling the truth,”
according to the St Louis county prosecutor, Robert McCulloch.

In his first public interview since announcing the grand jury’s decision
not to indict officer Darren Wilson, McCulloch told local radio station
KTRS that he had decided to put witnesses forward to testify regardless of
their credibility.

“Early on, I decided that anyone who claimed to have witnessed anything
would be presented to the grand jury,” he said.

“I knew somebody would be critical of whatever I did,” he said. “I thought
it was important to present anybody and everybody, and some that were,
yes, clearly not telling the truth, no question about it.”

The admission came just days after The Smoking Gun, an investigative site
which publishes government, police and other documents, claimed to have
identified a key grand jury witness and raised serious questions about the
credibility of her testimony.

“Witness 40”, The Smoking Gun said, was Sandra McElroy, a 45-year-old St
Louis resident who has a criminal record and a history of using racial
epithets in online posts.

The site said it found her by using certain details in the unredacted
portion of the grand jury transcript – Witness 40’s age, her home town,
the fact that she was adopted, her two arrests for cheque fraud in 2007 –
and checked them against public records and social media accounts.

In an update to its story, The Smoking Gun said on Tuesday that McElroy
had confirmed her identity as “Witness 40” and was speaking to a lawyer.

The Smoking Gun also reported that McElroy came forward as a witness in
another high-profile criminal case in 2007 – with a story that authorities
later dismissed as “a complete fabrication.”

In her grand jury testimony, “Witness 40” described in detail how Michael
Brown bent down “in a football position” and charged at officer Darren
Wilson – an account often quoted in discussion of the case by rightwing
commentators such as Fox News’s Sean Hannity.

It was noted in her testimony to the grand jury that “Witness 40” was not
taking medication for bipolar disorder, and that she had memory problems
after being injured in a 2001 car crash. The witness waited until after
Wilson’s account of events was in the public domain, four weeks after the
shooting, before coming to police with a story which directly corroborated
his version of events.

The Smoking Gun also highlighted how “Witness 40” gave the grand jury
several different explanations for her presence in Ferguson on the day
Brown was killed – and that she admitted that her first version of the
story was untrue.

McCulloch, in his interview, appeared to corroborate The Smoking Gun’s
investigation of McElroy. “Some of the media is doing exactly what I said
they would do,” he said. “They pull out one witness and just latch on to
that.”

“This is a lady who clearly wasn’t present when this occurred, and she
recounted this statement that was right out of the newspaper about
Wilson’s actions, right down the line,” said McCulloch, “even though I’m
sure she was nowhere near the place.”

“The thing that changed in her story several times was the reason she had
to be in Canfield that day,” he continued.

The Smoking Gun alleged that McElroy’s testimony to the grand jury was
also fabricated. “I believe there is a clear preponderance of evidence,”
William Bastone, the editor of The Smoking Gun, told the Guardian. “We’d
never have posted a story accusing her of perjury – and identifying her –
if we weren’t 100% certain.”

This, too, appeared to be corroborated by McCulloch. “There are people who
came in and, yes, absolutely lied under oath. Some lied to the FBI – even
though they aren’t under oath, that’s another potential federal offence.”

He added that he had allowed them to testify anyway because he had felt
“it was much more important to present the entire picture”.

He said his department was not planning to pursue perjury charges.

The Smoking Gun reported that McElroy often posted online about the case
after Michael Brown’s shooting, but before “Witness 40” went to the police
with her story. In one reply to a post on Facebook about the case, McElroy
said, “The report and autopsy are in so YES they were false.”

McElroy also reportedly regularly posted racial slurs about Brown in
particular, and black people in general.

The Smoking Gun also reported that McElroy had previously been accused of
lying about her involvement with a high-profile kidnapping case in St
Louis. In that case, McElroy gave statements to the police in which she
said that she had seen kidnapper Michael Devlin with victim Shawn Hornbeck
months after his disappearance, and that she had known Devlin for 20
years. Police later declared those statements to be “a complete
fabrication”.

Emails sent to several addresses believed to be connected to McElroy this
week were not returned. On Wednesday, McElroy told the St Louis Post-
Dispatch that she stood by her original story, and that she regretted ever
coming forward. McCulloch was not available for comment on Friday.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014/dec/19/ferguson-prosecutor-
witnesses-darren-wilson-michael-brown
unknown
2014-12-20 21:05:41 UTC
On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 20:30:58 +0000 (UTC), Benjamin Atkins
Post by Benjamin Atkins
In her grand jury testimony, “Witness 40” described in detail how Michael
Brown bent down “in a football position” and charged at officer Darren
Wilson – an account often quoted in discussion of the case by rightwing
commentators such as Fox News’s Sean Hannity.
So you gunnuts kept on this claim insisting that this proved that
Wilson was being attacked and was justified in shooting Brown to
death. Funny how all the other witnesses present said that Wilson
fired at the back of the fleeing Brown, then when Brown turned and
raised his hands it was then that Wilson killed Brown. Turns out he
never did charge Wilson. Also turns out that McCullough knew it but
decided to allow what he knew was a bogus witness to the GJ. That is
known as poisoning the well. By intentionally introducing
conflicting testimony he effectively shed doubt on the other
witnesses. I told you that was what he was doing, and now we have
proof. And even McCullough admitted he intentionally poisoned the
witness pool. And clearly it was done illegally to protect his
friend.
Klaus Schadenfreude
2014-12-20 21:08:22 UTC
Post by Benjamin Atkins
In her grand jury testimony, “Witness 40” described in detail how Michael
Brown bent down “in a football position” and charged at officer Darren
Wilson – an account often quoted in discussion of the case by rightwing
commentators such as Fox News’s Sean Hannity.
So you gunnuts kept on this claim insisting that this proved that
Wilson was being attacked and was justified in shooting Brown to
death. Funny how all the other witnesses present said that Wilson
fired at the back of the fleeing Brown, then when Brown turned and
raised his hands it was then that Wilson killed Brown.
Witness 35 said Brown was "on his knees" when Wilson shot him in the
head.
Under questioning, however, his testimony fell apart.
"What you are saying you saw isn't forensically possible based on the
evidence," a prosecutor said.
The witness acknowledged making up testimony.

Looks like you're lying again.
GOP_Decline_and_Fall
2014-12-20 23:07:44 UTC
Post by Benjamin Atkins
[...]
McCulloch has publicly confessed to a crime.

St. Louis prosecutor McCulloch says he knew ‘Witness 40" lied to
Ferguson grand jury

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/12/st-louis-prosecutor-mcculloch-says-he-knew-witness-40-lied-to-ferguson-grand-jury/comments/#disqus

Since when do outright LIES constitute part of the "entire picture" of
a potential murder indictment?

MsBJns • a day ago

That DA suborned perjury, plain and simple. For that he should
absolutely lose his license to practice law and be charged. with
Obstruction of Justice. He must think he's untouchable for actually
admitting to what he did.

I'm not a lawyer but I think he just confessed to committing a crime.
If he let witnesses testify under oath and he knew they were lying. It
sounds like subornation of perjury to me.

This idiot just admitted suborning perjury, a felony:
Attorneys have a special duty as officers of the court. Not only are
they barred from trying to influence a witness to lie under oath, they
also must not call a witness whom they know or believe will lie under
oath
unknown
MsBJns • a day ago
That DA suborned perjury, plain and simple. For that he should
absolutely lose his license to practice law and be charged. with
Obstruction of Justice. He must think he's untouchable for actually
admitting to what he did.
I'm not a lawyer but I think he just confessed to committing a crime.
If he let witnesses testify under oath and he knew they were lying. It
sounds like subornation of perjury to me.
Attorneys have a special duty as officers of the court. Not only are
they barred from trying to influence a witness to lie under oath, they
also must not call a witness whom they know or believe will lie under
oath
This was a witness that McCulloch knew would say what he wanted to
hear. His defense for his friend was that Brown charged him in a
threatening manner. By introducing a bogus witness he could
introduce a doubt on the validity of other witnesses that say that
Brown had turned and raised his hands in surrender when he was killed.
I just not sure how McCulloch actually though he could get away with
it.
GOP_Decline_and_Fall
MsBJns • a day ago
[...]
Sadly, I think he probably will get away with it although he could
well be disbarred,

He agreed to step down if Nixon told him to and appointed a special
prosecutor.

Nixon refused to do so.
benj
MsBJns • a day ago
[...]
Oh sure. Just keep the fantasy going! HANDS UP! DON'T SHOOT! Just repeat
it over and over. Keep showing the baby pictures of "Unarmed" Brown over
and over. Keep the racist chant going! BURN BABY BURN!

Who do you think you are fooling? All those uneducated peckerwoods that
you hate so much? You hate poor whites because they are poor and
uneducated and then you Libs turn around and try to take advantage of
them and the fact they stupidly listen you your lies and blindly repeat
them monkey-see monkey-do!

The lies in the Brown case are rampant alright. The lie that he was some
"good boy" (He had just robbed a carry-out and roughed up the objecting
clerk) The lie that he was innocent. (There is ZERO doubt that this
"unarmed" good boy had just punched a cop in the face and tried to grab
his gun) That the cop was wrong to do his duty and pursue a fleeing
felon. Cripes the cop could have shot him in the back LEGALLY or any of
the other lies witnesses conjured up would have been LEGAL against a
fleeing felon. No mention of that from Libs.

Instead it's all black folks exercising "black culture" by covering up
crimes, by committing perjury to cover for black criminals, by winking
at black durg users and people who sell drugs to your children, and by
supporting your local black punks by lying on TV and "not being a rat".

It's a sickening display that should sicken any person especially
righteous blacks. Why are cops extra suspicious in black nieghborhoods?
Maybe its because so many black punks commit crimes and so many black
residents join in protecting the criminals under the guise of "black
culture"!

So what is 'black culture"? Simple. If a white cop kills a black
criminal then TWO white cops have to die for it! It's what we now see in
NYC. It's black culture. It's No Justice, No Peace! Until black
criminals get a free ride in society, white cops will just have to die.
THAT is what black culture means in Brown and Garner's 'hood.

You are one sick bitch, Sheila.

Got me tickets to the Wilson lynching yet? Or is it now going to be a
McCulloch lynching? I'm sure it doesn't matter to your racist mind just
so long as some whitey ends up strange fruit.
--
___ ___ ___ ___
/\ \ /\ \ /\__\ /\ \
GOP_Decline_and_Fall
MsBJns • a day ago
[...]
This outrage had nothing to go with black culture or NY, but don't let
that stop you trying to whip up racial hatred.

The Arabic speaking Ismaaiyl Abdulla Brinsley was a gangster and
Muslim convert who was fleeing Baltimore after shooting a family
member.

Ismaaiyl Brinsley: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

http://heavy.com/news/2014/12/ismail-brinsley-nypd-brooklyn-bed-stuy-shooting-suspect/